Monday, August 13, 2012

Pen & Ink

With all this German surrounding me I can't help but find myself beginning to loose some of my English. It's not a bad thing, it's just frustrating because as I'm loosing English I haven't really been gaining German to take it's place. I'm starting to feel like I don't have a language anymore. Sure I can speak English, and a little very broken German, but neither really feels like it's mine. More that it's just a passing tool in communication with the world around me. I'm not sure if that made any sense but I can't better explain it than that.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for the aching fact that I'm a writer, and what do writers do best? They write. Not having a language that I can control and mold to my story is really starting to take it's toll on me. That constant itch to write is coming back stronger than ever and as I haven't really a language I'm finding it difficult to scratch that itch.

Not to mention that as I've been told time and time again, it's difficult to be learning a language and still using your native tongue so much. I don't want to be making it harder for myself...but I have to write.

--
Coo-Koo bird

4 comments:

  1. As someone who has learned and lived with bits and pieces of 3 very different languages (and who likes to write...a lot). The best thing I found was to give into it and, if neccessary, make the language your own.--My wife called it Danglish when she studied Deutsch, I had Franglais, Twinglish and Hinglish. Drop the vocab you know into your writing, copy down sentences of people who speak the other language (phonetically if need be), eventually you create your own language, which is really all you can do.

    It sounds like your having fun...and that's all that really matters anyway. GREAT BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah hahah that how is it for me when I speak, dropping a word in here and there since I can't really form sentences very well that don't start 'I am...' or "Kann you...?" oh god I'm even doing it now. *Facepalm* When I get back I won't be able to speak English at all, and my grammar, oh your would cry if you heard how I speak right now hahah my English is so bad!!!

      Yes, lots and lots of fun! Thank you!! :)

      - A

      Delete
  2. Hahaha on the Schleich toys photo! Looks like Target is up to date on what this store has. Doesn't this display help you feel like home? Heeheeheehee. Man even the shelving makes me thing Target with the red trim... NO WAY! Is that a TH mug with one of your favorite pictures on it???? Did it come with the blanket by chance, or did you find it shopping? The land of your band, wonder what else you'll find of them.........hopefully them, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah hahah damn the caption didn't work. I took the picture because it was in a convince store and I thought it was funny. :P

      OH YES IT SURELY IS!! :D Nope didn't come with the blanket, my host mom came home with it yesterday, no idea where it came from though hahaha. She keeps showing up at home with more TH stuff hahaha. :)

      Oh definitely! ;) I've already had one super strange dream about them since I got here.

      - H

      Delete